It is essential to take precautions before a storm to protect your home and its contents, especially in the Lincoln, NE area. Here are some tips on how to prepare from us at the Brokers Insurance Agency:
- Inspect your roof for loose shingles, cracks, or holes that can be easily damaged by heavy winds and water during a storm. Make sure to repair or replace any damage before the storm arrives.
- Store all outdoor furniture and decor indoors, or tie them down securely. Store anything that cannot fit indoors in an enclosed shed or garage strong enough to withstand extreme weather conditions.
- Trim trees and shrubs around the home to ensure there are no branches near windows or roofs that could break off in high winds and cause damage to your house.
- Clear gutters of leaves, twigs, and other debris so water can flow freely away from your home.
- Ensure an emergency supply kit is ready in case of a power outage or if you need to evacuate quickly. This should include flashlights, batteries, non-perishable food items, bottled water, and essential documents.
- Prepare your home’s plumbing system by disconnecting all hoses from the outside faucets, draining excess water out of pipes, and shutting off the main valve if instructed to do so by authorities.
Following these tips can help protect your home and its contents when a storm looms on the horizon. If you have any additional questions, give us at Brokers Insurance Agency a call today! We proudly serve the Lincoln, NE area. Stay safe!